The present church came into being on 11 February 1959 as an amalgamation of Queen Street Baptist and Cape Road Baptist churches. The Cape Road church had been established in the 1930's and had been running their services in the older building which is used as the church hall today. The current larger building was constructed with the merging of the two churches in mind and its pitched roof was designed to mimic two praying hands. The name Trinity has its roots in the thought that two churches were able to merge in order to form a third church.
Trinity Baptist, interestingly enough, has a connection with a paddle / steam ship, called the Tweed. This particular ship was first launched in the Bombay Dockyard, India, in 1854. In 1888 the ship ran into disrepair and damage in Algoa Bay and was towed into Port Elizabeth Harbour for the final time. The Tweed was dismantled and it's usable parts auctioned off. It is recorded that the beams of the ship were used to build the roof of a church in Port Elizabeth and it is believed that Trinity Baptist is that church. What is confirmed is that Trinity had a few furniture items constructed from the wood of the ship, namely a communion table and chairs.
11 March 1958: Idea of amalgamation between Queen Street Baptist and Cape Road Baptist first broached by Rev. L J Gardner
17 March 1958: Meeting of Queen Street and Cape Road diaconates convened
28 May 1958: Decision to amalgamate taken by both churches
17 September 1958: Call accepted by Rev. S H Reed - inducted 18 January 1959
11 February 1959: Amalgamation an accomplished fact though morning services still continued at Queen Street
4-11 October 1959: Valedictory services at Queen Street Church. Final service conducted by Rev J L Green 11 October
18 October 1959: First united service conducted by the pastor in the hall
30 November 1960: Decision to build as a result of generous gift from Mr S R Siberry
27 May 1961: Turning of the sod by Mr F A Fereman
29 July 1961: Laying of the foundation stones
18 November 1961: Opening of the new church building by Mr S R Siberry